Moving to a new location can be a stressful time filled with a million questions and seemingly no one has any answers. Because of this, we at Movers Springfield have created a move-in checklist to help you stay relaxed and on top of your transition to your new home. We will try our best to answer any questions you may have with our detailed step by step guide.
Moving Out T Minus One Week
Do the Mandatory Cleanups of Your Old Place
It’s always nice to leave the old property in great shape for any new homeowners, but for renters, it’s vital to do a few things to increase the chance of earning your security deposit back. After your home has been emptied, make sure you patch and paint holes in the walls so you won’t be charged for any simple repairs. If there is anything your landlord requires, be sure to arrange this before you leave.
Prioritize the Right Cleanups for your New Place
Cleaning is the next big task on our moving checklist. If you can get into your new home, we highly suggest that you head over before moving in and give it a good, deep cleaning. A few areas that may need to be cleaned as soon as possible.
- Kitchen Cabinets: Cleaning these is a great way to eliminate any dirt, grease, and dust from a previous owner and the cabinets will be easier to clean while they are still empty.
- Refrigerator and Refrigerator Fan: It isn’t usually at the top of a to do list to completely empty and clean out a fridge; all the more reason to clean it out now while it is empty. After cleaning and sanitizing the inside, be sure to check the vent on the back of the appliance. Sometimes the fan collects an excess of dust that can build up over time and hurt the efficiency of the refrigerator.
- Outside and Inside the Stove: You can buy cleaning supplies or just use water, baking soda, and vinegar.
- Washing Machine: Run a regular cycle with bleach to clean the drum, but don’t forget to clean where the detergent is poured. This wet space can breed mold and mildew so it’s important to take a look inside before washing your first load of laundry.
- Bathtub and Tub Jets: Mold and mildew can build up in bathtubs and their jets so it’s a good idea to clean these before bathing. Just fill the tub with water and cleaning solution until the water level is above the jets. Then turn on the pump and the cleaning solution will run through the jets and eliminate any old buildup.
This is also a great time to set up an appointment with a locksmith to re-key the locks shortly after your successful move in.
We at Movers Springfield know how stressful moving can be so let us help you move smoothly into our Springfield, Illinois area so you can relax. We hope our checklist helps and that you’ll continue to our “Moving Day” article.